Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Healthy Lungs



I'm very pleased to share that at Olivia's follow-up appointment her lungs sounded (and looked) very healthy! We received good news at our appointment but it did not go smoothly. I hate that I have to advocate for Olivia at every turn. It would be so nice to see a doctor that had some knowledge/understanding/awareness of Sanfilippo syndrome or MPS or even lysosomal storage disorders in general. I respect the doctor when he says that he doesn't know much about my daughter's condition. Really and truly I do, I appreciate their honesty and I realize that it can be difficult to so openly admit to shortcomings. BUT....as a parent who is exhausted and scared it would be so nice to meet with a doctor who knew more than I did about Olivia's health. I think it would be such a special experience to have a doctor make recommendations rather than the other way around. The military health care system has some perks but we see a different doctor every single time that we have an appointment. It is endlessly frustrating! Okay, enough complaining for tonight.

No comments: