Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pregnancy Hormones

It's official, the hormones are definately raging out of control. During my pregnancy with Olivia there would occasionally be times when I realized that my emotions were spinning completely out of control. I knew I was over reacting but I couldn't do anything to stop it. This happened during random commercials, especially kleenex or hallmark commercials, and reruns of 7th Heaven. I would sit there sobbing histerically all the while knowing that this was all fake, it was television, but I just couldn't stop crying. Of course I realized that my behavior was completely rediculous so then I'd start laughing at myself so I'd end up sobbing and laughing at the same time. I remember thinking at the time that I was glad that Mike wasn't around to have to deal with my crazy pregnancy hormones.

Well, they're back....the hormones that is. Yesterday Mike has the day off from work so he spent a fun day with Olivia, they both got to sleep in, have breakfast, then Mike got to take Olivia to school for a couple of hours so we could meet for a lunch date, and then he picked her up from school early so they could spend some quality time in the afternoon. Since Mike got Olivia ready I didn't see her until I got home from work around 5pm. As you can tell from our pictures, our child has some wild and crazy hair. I could immediately tell that one of her daycare teachers had done Olivia's hair. I didn't say anything about it but then later that evening after Olivia was in bed I was watching TV upstairs and just started crying. Mike asked what was wrong and I just burst into tears about how Mike would have to learn to do Olivia's hair because I didn't want her to go to school and have other people make fun of the way her hair looked. Mike's logical response was that Olivia is almost 2 and that kids don't make fun of eachother when they're 2. I started sobbing uncontrollably about how her teachers had to fix her hair and how I should have been there to do it because I'm her mother. I realized that I was over reacting a bit to this "crisis" but couldn't seem to stop crying. My poor husband, he sat there and listed to me cry, promised to do his best to learn how to fix Olivia's hair, then asked if I wanted Ice Cream, all the while he was able to keep a straight face (for the most part at least). I realized at the time that I was being completely irrational and that in the big scheme of life it is not a big deal if our daughter's ponytail isn't straight but I just couldn't seem to stop crying. Of course today the entire episode is hilarious. I'm so glad that Mike is here this time to experience all the effects of pregnancy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laurie,
That is so YOU. I can hear your voice right now!
xoxo,
Stace