Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tale of Despereaux


I recently learned that a movie theater here in town offered $1 movies during the week. I decided that it would be a great opportunity for a fun an inexpensive summer activity. Wednesday is our off day from therapy so we set out on our mission. We arrived at the theater and things were going great! I paid $1 for Olivia's ticket, chaperone's and kids under 2 are free. The kids both love popcorn so we loaded up with $1 popcorn and drinks. I used the stroller to get the kids into the theater. We got settled in our seats and the kids were both very excited to see the movie.

We settled in and the movie began. This was the first time in a movie theater for both kids and they were very impressed. I was thrilled! Everyone was quiet and content. I was so proud of myself for trying this new experience with both kids! Olivia was content to sit on my lap and Peter sat in his own seat next to us. Things could not have gone better! We were about about 45 minutes into the movie when disaster struck. Something bad happened to Despereaux, he got in trouble for reading books instead of eating them, he started falling down a dark hole. Peter lost it! He stood up on his seat and started yelling "MOOOUSE, MOOOOUSE, MOOOUSE". He doesn't weigh enough to hold the movie theater seat down by himself and he slid between the seat bottom and the seat back and got stuck. His precious popcorn flew up into the air and Olivia launched into another fit of giggles while Peter launched into a major temper tantrum. Sippy cups went flying and I heard them roll down the theater. Peter worked himself into a major temper tantrum and I scooped up both kids and the diaper bag and ran for the theater entrance. I decided that was it, I carried a screaming Peter back to the car. I loaded up the kids, parked the car at the door to the theater and went back in for the stroller. I consider our outing a success even though we only got half way through the movie. It was definitely worth the $4 I spent on tickets and refreshments.

1 comment:

Anna M said...

Oh what a story! I can only imagine what it would be like going to the movies with 2! I feel like I've accomplished something when I go to the park and manage to get both kids back in the car!