Tuesday, September 7, 2010

WISH


I am so excited to share that Olivia was granted a Wish through the Make A Wish Organization and we will be leaving in less than a week for Disney World. I'm just so overcome with emotion, I'll warn you now that this will be a long post.

Now that I've shared the big news I can start at the beginning. When Olivia was inpatient last summer I met several kids who were looking forward to their wishes or had just had their wish granted. Our Social Worker in the hospital suggested that I begin completing the paperwork to apply for Olivia to have a wish granted by the Make A Wish organization. The medical team at Duke encouraged and supported Olivia's Wish application enthusiastically. They all felt it would be great for Olivia to have something so positive to look forward to. I completed the paperwork shortly after Olivia was discharged from the hospital while we were in the apartment in Durham. Olivia and I met with some volunteers from Make a Wish and at that point she was able to communicate with them, she said that she wanted to see Mickey Mouse and the princess but that she did not want to go on a boat. The Make A Wish volunteers confirmed that this meant that Olivia was interested in going to Disney World in Orlando and that she did not want to go on a Disney Cruise. They continued putting the application packet together with the help of her transplant team at Duke. We found out that Olivia's wish had been granted shortly after we moved from Durham to Fayetteville. Since Make A Wish is a volunteer organization we had to be assigned a different group of "Wish Granters". In March we met with Olivia's Wish Granters here and we began to discuss Olivia's wish in greater detail. It's so sad to me that at this point just a few months later Olivia was no longer able to tell the Wish Granters that she wanted to see Mickey Mouse. Our Wish Granters were fantastic to work with and we all moved forward with the wish planning. The most complicated step seemed to be finalizing a date. The transplant team recommended that we go before school ended for the summer or after school began in the fall because of Olivia's suppressed immune system and on top of that if we waited until the fall then Olivia would most likely be off of all transplant medications and without a port. Basically the transplant team was strongly recommending that we wait until the fall. Mike and I went back and forth, of course we wanted to do what was best for Olivia medically but we wanted her to be able to understand and appreciate the experience. Finally we opted for after school started in the fall and our Wish date was finalized. I still don't know if we made the right decision but I've decided to stop stressing about it. We've known for months that we would be going to Disney World in September but we finally got to learn about some of the trip details this past week.

Olivia and 2 of her Wish Granters, I think we're especially lucky because we've been able to meet 5 FANTASTIC volunteers with Make A Wish throughout this process.

Before I continue I just have to talk about the Make A Wish volunteers. Everyone that we've had contact with throughout this experience has been wonderful! Each time we meet someone from Make A Wish they bring toys for Olivia, they brought toys for her to play with on the plane. This process has been so emotional for me, from Olivia expressing her wish to see Mickey to her not being able to talk much at all. These volunteers have all been fantastic.

Mike, Olivia, Peter, my sister Amy (Olivia's Godmother), and myself will all be heading to Orlando for a week! We will be staying at a special resort near Disney specifically for families that are visiting Orlando as part of a Make A Wish experience called "Give Kids the World". We'll be spending some time at the Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom as well as Epcot, Universal Studios, and Sea World. It is our goal to give Olivia the best Disney experience possible. My parents are hoping to be able to meet us in Orlando for part of our trip. I am completely overcome with gratitude and appreciation. I just cannot find the words to express what a blessing this is, I don't even know where to begin. The mission of the Make A Wish organization is to "grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy." They have already done that and we haven't even left the house yet! And after reading that again I am crying all over the place so I'll just end here and maybe I'll be able to pull it together in time to pick Olivia up from school in a few hours.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm crying too! What a special thing for you all to do together!

*Hugs*

Elena said...

Reading your post made me cry. I hope that Olivia loves her trip to Disney.

Shannon said...

You are going to LOVE Give Kids The World. It is an incredible place - truly one of a kind. Wavey's Disney wish was amazing! I can't wait to see all of your photos. Make sure you make reservations for some character meals. :)

Brandy GUy said...

OH I'm so excited for you guys! What a great vacation. Have a blast.

Anna M said...

Oh WOW!! This is incredible! I'm so happy there is an organization out there that can do this for children and their families. I can't wait to see pictures!