Monday, September 7, 2009

Date Night

Thanks to Aunt Amy (see earlier post) Mike and I were able to have our first official date night since June 26th. After much discussion we finally decided on the Melting Pot, which has been one of our favorite date spots ever since we went to the Melting Pot in South Carolina while I was in grad school. Mike had just finished Ranger school and was literally starving. When I told him it was a fondue spot he did not have high expectations but he left stuffed.

We went to the Melting Pot here in Durham and this time we really were able to limit ourselves to just cheese and dessert (we always say we're going to do this but we always end up caving in and getting a full 4 course meal). They asked if we were celebrating anything special. How do you answer that....yes actually, we're celebrating our first date night in more than 2 months because our three year old daughter has been in the hospital receiving chemo and a blood transplant and we only see each other on weekends. Instead we opted for a much more generic "just celebrating spending some time together since Mike is at Fr. Bragg and I am here in Durham". The waiter asked Mike which branch and Mike responded with Army, there was some other brief back and forth and then we continued with our meal. As we finished up our yummy chocolate fondue the waiter came back and said that the manager is a big supporter of the armed services and that our meal and our bottle of wine was on the house. We were so pleasantly surprised. Our gratitude was obvious in our faces. Of course I cried a little as I cry a little all the time now. What a blessing!

Forget the fondue forks and just eat melted chocolate with a spoon.

3 comments:

Wendy Leiva said...

How amazing! I love little moments like those! I am so glad you enjoyed your time together.

Laura said...

Hooray!!! So glad you guys are enjoying life on the outside. I miss seeing your smiling faces on 5200!! Laura

Brandy said...

You two have always been the cutest and most loving couple. You are also the 3rd Military family this week that has mentioned someone buying their meal as a thank you for serving our country! That is awesome that we have such wonderful people out there to support wonderful families like you guys. Glad you got a much needed and deserved night out!