I started this post earlier in the week but we've had a very busy week and this post turned out much differently then I initially expected!
This is a video that I took on Tuesday morning as I dropped Olivia off at school. She LOVES going to school.
I like her teacher and the classroom aide but over the last several weeks of school we have developed some concerns regarding Olivia's safety in the classroom. The teacher and the classroom aide are doing all that they can but it's just not possible for the two of them to manage the class load. There are a total of 10 other students in the class and they all have their own challenges. Olivia is one of the happiest children in her class and she also seems to have the most significant challenges. Olivia doesn't quite need a 1:1 at this point but all of the children in the class would benefit from the addition of another aide. We had an IEP meeting this Wednesday to discuss her new orthodics (which I'll cover in another post) and her safety in the classroom. I dread going to IEP meetings but I think that I am getting a little more comfortable and I was expecting this to be a quick meeting. I had written a strongly worded letter expressing my concerns with Olivia's safety in the classroom and I shared that with the team. At that point the Director of the Preschool Program and the Physical Therapist then expressed their concern with Olivia's lack of progress towards her IEP goals during the first 9 week period of school. They thought we should then discuss the possibility that Olivia's needs might be better met in a home based educational setting. The more I think about what happened during this meeting the more angry and confused I get about what happened. At this point I feel like I lost it (the teacher and speech therapist have since assured me that I didn't really loose it). I know I've mentioned before how much I hate that I get so emotional during these meetings because I know I'm not able to advocate for Olivia to the best of my ability when I'm so emotional. Olivia has attended school fewer than 25 days over the last 9 week period (she had surgery to remove her port, we went on our Make A Wish trip, there have been 2 teacher inservices, 2 holidays, and Olivia had an ear infection so she missed a few days). I had no idea that a change of venue would be discussed at the meeting. I could go on and on but basically it is my personal belief that they are concerned about her safety as well and would rather her be removed from the classroom environment than modify the school environment to make it safer for Olivia. I received a lot of support from other parents with children with MPS and Sanfilippo syndrome and I learned today that the school began the process of hiring an additional aide for the classroom. I've received some great feedback from the teacher as well as the school principal regarding the way I handled things during the meeting.
At this point I am very happy with Olivia's teacher but I am concerned about the professionalism and competency of the District officials I've met thus far. We revised her IEP goals and will be meeting at the end of the next 9 week period. I don't think I'll attend another IEP meeting alone. I am thinking of scheduling an appointment with a psychiatrist to discuss my anxiety and ability to control my emotions during IEP meetings, perhaps they can give me something? I've thought about having a stiff drink prior to the meeting but I would hate to come in smelling of alcohol. Has anyone out there reading ever tried anything like this? Any advice?
Building of Medieval Cathedrals Built
6 years ago
2 comments:
I am so sorry your last IEP meeting was so stressful. It sounds like you were effective though.
There is ZERO reason to remove Olivia from the classroom based on her goals. They simply need to revise her goals to something more appropriate. The social aspect of school and they many ways Olivia benefits from her peers is vital to her development.
As for safety concerns, we had the same issue when Wavey first started preschool. I documented the multiple issues - escaping from the classroom, running off the play ground into the parking lot, chewing on her hearing aids (chocking hazard). The school was very quick to make accommodations due to my safety concerns. They know they are liable.
You have the right to bring anyone with you to the IEP - doctor, OT, PT, early intervention worker. They can advocate for Olivia, too.
Remember that most of the people around the IEP table have Olivia's best interests at heart. Focus on them and allow them to help you in getting what you need for Olivia's school success.
Love the video!
Post a Comment