Monday, August 29, 2011

Hurricane Irene

So we weathered the Hurricane this past weekend just fine. We didn't even loose power. This was my first experience with hurricanes in North Carolina and I have to say it was different from what I was accustomed to. I grew up in Houston and then went to college in New Orleans so I'm pretty familiar with Hurricanes. Growing up I somehow came to believe that hurricanes that enter the Gulf of Mexico are somehow much more serious than those that sweep up along the Atlantic coast. I don't know if this is an extension of the belief that "everything is better/bigger in Texas" or if there is real science behind this belief (ie. maybe the water in the Gulf of Mexico is warmer leading to a stronger storm or storms also seem to stall in the gulf getting stronger before slamming into the coast while those in the Atlantic Ocean seem to fall apart). My point being that I had the impression that storms off the Atlantic Coast are typically weak. Secondly Houston is a huge market so the weather men would compete to hype the storm up and make it seem more exciting. It's all about the ratings after all. People in Louisiana are just crazy, and hurricanes send them over the edge. Half the population thinks that the mere mention of a hurricane is cause enough for a hurricane party and begin drinking heavily as the storm approaches and the other half of the population thinks that they must hunker down and protect their property at all costs. I never really understood this part, protect your house from what, the water? the wind? what are you going to do exactly, threaten Mother Nature? (I am of course exaggerating, there are a fair number of reasonable, rational, level headed people in both Texas and Louisiana.)

North Carolinians seemed so calm, so rational. There was no oversensationalizing things on the news. They delivered the facts, provided information and instruction. Everyone seemed to be able to go about their business and prepare for the storm at the same time.

In the end the storm weakened significantly before reaching the coast. We were well prepared, pantry stocked, gas in the cars, patio furniture secured, toys moved inside. But nothing happened, it was windy but we got very little rain. Hurricane Irene did significantly less damage than the tornadoes that swept through our area in April. We did enjoy spending the extra time together. So here's our Hurricane Irene recap.

Mike and Peter played Guitar Hero



Olivia and Daddy got in some extra cuddle time



We watched Toy Story at least 3 times



We got a beautiful sunset on Saturday evening!



I know some of our friends to the north didn't fare so well. You're in our thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

Anna M said...

That sunset is awesome! Glad to hear y'all did fine with your NC hurricanes. I didn't really know the difference between hurricane reportings...so thanks for sharing! Since I grew up with the NC ones, I just thought that was the case everywhere :O)