Welcome to the first part of a 3 part series detailing our move from North Carolina to New Orleans.
As I mentioned in an earlier post (Chaos) we've had a bit of a fruit-basket upset situation around here lately. When Mike accepted the ROTC teaching position in New Orleans we were consciously deciding to take every aspect of our lives here in North Carolina roll it into a tight little ball and throw it up in the air. In the long run we think it will be better for our family but in the interim it's been a little crazy.
I'm so happy to report that things seem to be falling into place. I have a job!
When Olivia was diagnosed with Sanfilippo syndrome I knew immediately I was going to quit work for a bit. I had been planning on going on maternity leave for a few months after Peter was born (I was 8 months pregnant with Peter when Olivia was diagnosed) but I knew I wouldn't be able to return to work. The doctor's advice when Olivia was diagnosed was to "enjoy every moment we had to spend with her". From the very second I heard those words I knew that I just couldn't continue to work and I gave my resignation that week. Almost 3 years later our lives are in a much different place. I absolutely love and enjoy being a stay-at-home mom. I am able to look back and enjoy the time I spent with Olivia at Duke. In some ways it was a luxury to live in an environment where the only things you are concerned about exist in that very moment. We were living in a hospital, the only thing that mattered was Olivia's health and well being at that moment. Sure it was incredibly stressful but the memories of the stress and anxiety have faded and I remember the best parts of that time. Olivia and I having conversations! Olivia laughing, playing games, doing her favorite puzzles over and over. I've also needed these last 2 years to bond again with Peter. He and I are together constantly. I am amazed by him and I could watch and play with him forever. I've never been so fascinated by anything as I am by Peter. With Olivia everything gets so complicated but I am just able to enjoy Peter and relish the person he's becoming.
Our lives are changing. Olivia loves going to school. At this point we've taken the doctor's original instructions to heart, we are "enjoying every second that we have to spend with her" but we have also decided that we want Olivia to "enjoy life as much as possible." For Olivia right now that means school which is leaving me as the odd-man-out for a large portion of the day. Peter is also starting to enjoy spending time with friends and he could certainly benefit from learning that he isn't the only little boy in the word (although he may be the most adorable, but I may be a little biased). So I'm very excited about the opportunity to go back to work. I'm not sure how long it will last but I'm going to try and enjoy every second of it!
Starting Monday, September 26th I'll be the new Assistant Director of Alumni Relations at Loyola University New Orleans!
Stay tuned for parts II (school) and II (house) of our Falling into Place series.
Building of Medieval Cathedrals Built
6 years ago
3 comments:
THAT is great!!! Congrats, Laurie. A return to your alma mater, right? Glad it's all falling into place.
Super excited for you guys, but we are going to miss having you on the east coast. :)
Glad it is all working out.
Post a Comment