So just to keep myself extra busy while Mike is in the field I decided that this would be a great time to take Olivia's pacifier away. Olivia gave up the bottle promptly the week of her first birthday but the pacifier wasn't so easy. After her first birthday she was down to only using the pacifier for naps, bedtime, and trips in the car. There was one excuse after another to let her hang onto her pacifier a little longer--the 4 day drive/move here to Washington, my return to work and Olivia starting daycare, etc. Then I convenced myself it would happen right after her 2nd birthday but then we were flying to Hawaii. No more excuses! Sieze the moment! I ordered Olivia a replacement comfort item, a
Nocturnimals Owl that lights up when you press it's foot. It arrived earlier in the week but I wanted the first pacifier-free night to be a weekend night so that Olivia wouldn't be too tired at school the following day. Tonight after her bath I let her open her package (Olivia loves getting packages and mail) then I explained that she could only have the new owl if she was a big girl and got rid of the pacifier. She wasn't happy about it but she really liked the new owl. At first she put up a little fight but then she continued to settle down into her bedtime routine. We snuggled on the bed with the owl and I read her a book. Then I went to tuck her into bed without the pacifier. She was still happy with her new owl and she gave me a goodnight kiss and said goodbye. That was exactly 40 minutes ago and she's still not asleep. She's not really crying but she's just sort of moaning. So far, so good. We'll see what time we all go to bed tonight....
No comments:
Post a Comment