Today Olivia had her weekly clinic appointment in Durham. It's really cold here so it took me forever to get the kids bundled up and the car warmed up. Fortunately it's dry so the roads were nice and clear, no ice or snow to have to deal with. We got to clinic and things went smoothly. Olivia's port worked beautifully, they drew her labs which look fantastic. We saw the doctor quickly and everyone was very impressed with how well Olivia is doing. The one area of concern is her weight and it's a big area of concern at this point. Olivia's weight is down to 14.6 KG, during her pre-transplant work up she was 17.2 KG and when she was discharged from 5200 she was steady at 16.8 KG. She hasn't seemed very interested in food this last week. She never seems to want to eat during meals and just seems to snack all day. At this point she's got to gain some weight. Dr. Paul had to give us an ultimatum today, if her weight isn't up to 15 KG by next week then they will have to insert an NG tube (a tube that is threaded up her nose and down her esophogus into her stomach and liquid food will be pumped directly into her stomach). Obviously this is not something we want to do so our #1 goal for the next week is to get Olivia to eat. I spoke with the dietician who was helpful about giving tips to increase Olivia's calorie intake. We finished up with clinic after about 3 hours and headed home.
I bundled up the kids and headed home. As we passed a McDonald's Olivia said she wanted chicken nuggets. Great! A happy meal for you! I had just ordered her happy meal in the drive through (requesting that they make the nuggets and fries fresh for Olivia) and pulled ahead to pay. It was lunch time so there was a line in the drive-thru. I was waiting to pay when I see a car across the parking lot start to back up. At first I thought nothing of it but then the car seemed to be getting a little close. I gave a friendly honk encouraging them to turn and to my alarm the car started gaining speed. The car was getting closer and closer and I kept honking. I couldn't pull forward, there was a car in front of me. I couldn't go backwards there was a car behind me. I was able to back up about a foot just in time for the car to crash into the passenger side bumper. I'm glad I backed up, I think that more damage would have been done if to the side of the car if I handn't been able to back up. The car was completely empty. It was a standard and it didn't look like it was in gear. I just sat there, waiting for the owner to return to her "run away" vehicle. It didn't look like there was too much damage. We exchanged info, I got the contact info for the man behind me in the drive-thru as well as the cashier at the window who saw everything and we were on our way. I had Mike look at the ar when he got home. He agreed that the damage is minimal but there did seem to be a leak under the car. We'll get it checked out this weekend and see where to go from here. Sheesh! What a day!
Building of Medieval Cathedrals Built
6 years ago
1 comment:
I don't remember if Olivia is allergic to dairy, but my roommate in college used to drink Ensure for the calories, so that may be something to consider.
Post a Comment