Today is Tuesday but it felt like such a Monday! Yesterday Mike was off for the MLK holiday and he was nice enough to give me some time to myself. It was really nice to have someone else look after Peter during Olivia's therapy sessions (she had occupational therapy and speech). After her therapy sessions I was able to escape to the mall for some retail therapy and a movie. I think I had a little too much relaxation time yesterday because today was a rude awakening! Olivia was grumpy all morning. She refused to eat, she spent all morning whining and moaning, it was obnoxious. I found myself desperately praying for patience several times throughout the course of the morning. I got Peter settled down for his morning nap just in time for Olivia's physical therapy session. She actually had a really good session today. Olivia worked really hard, so hard her little legs were trembling. It's so hard to see how weak she's become. Today she did some stretching and jumping. The weather here today was beautiful so we finished the session outside on her tricycle. We were all impressed with how hard Olivia worked today and the physical therapist was able to get a better idea of how Olivia is doing. Unfortunately she's even weaker than she initially thought. Olivia has to work really hard to get up to a standing position so she's taken to just scooting or crawling somewhere instead of getting up to walk. I know that I do more for her than I should. As a mom it's really hard for me to push her instead of just nurture her. I can't just give her the juice I know she wants, I have to make her use her words to ask me for it but now I have to start making her walk into the kitchen and find her cup and then have her ask for the juice, etc. It's exhausting. I know if will help her in the long run but I am constantly trying to find the right balance between pushing and nurturing, encouraging her and then comforting her.
Olivia was exhausted after physical therapy and was falling asleep during lunch so I thought she would be ready for her nap. Unfortunately Olivia had other ideas. She laid down for a bit but then got out of her bed. She snuck into Peter's room just after he'd finally fallen asleep and then woke him up. It was a beautiful day so we headed outside again. Olivia said she wanted to ride her bike so I attached the tandem seat to her tricycle and we all headed out for a ride. Things went splendidly for the first 500 feet and then things started going downhill. Olivia refused to stear so I was having to re-adjust our course every other step or so. Olivia got tired of peddling and then she didn't want her feet to be on the peddles so she dragged her toes on the ground. Peter thought that was hilarious so he did the same wore holes in the toes of his shoes. I should have just turned around and headed home but I was committed. We slowely, painfully, made our way around the block. Olivia was moaning the entire time, Peter was having a great time. I was exhausted. We finaly made it home and Olivia continued her moaning. Mike called so say he was planning on leaving the office around 6pm. I was done, emotionally and physically. I gave up and ordered pizza for the kids for dinner and put some chicken on the grill for Mike and I. Mike finally got home around 7pm. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow at all. Olivia has her weekly clinic visit and I think she's due for her monthly IV infusion which means a longer visit. There is a silver lining, my mom is coming for a visit next week, I'm really looking forward to seeking her and getting some help!



Don't they look miserable. Peter had a blast and was waving at everyone the entire time, the louder Olivia moaned, the more he waved.
No comments:
Post a Comment