
I started this blog after Olivia was born so I never got a chance to tell her birth story.
Mike deployed shortly after we learned that we were expecting. I was alone for almost the entire pregnancy but I don't remember it as a sad time at all. It was comforting to know that I was never really alone because our baby was with me. I had some great girlfriends to keep me company. It was a luxury to only have to take care of myself and the baby. I was still working so I had work to keep me busy, I took a lot of naps, and I had fun decorating the nursery.
My due date was July 11th and Mike had scheduled his mid-tour leave around that time to be home for Olivia's arrival. I went to my regular weekly ob appointment on June 30th and by obgyn was very concerned. He said my fluid levels were low, he told me that if my husband were home that they would have delivered the baby immediately. He said that he would send the necessary Red Cross message to Mike in Iraq to get him home as soon as possible. They did an ultrasound and could see that Olivia was still doing well but that I needed to rest. I was put on strict bedrest for the weekend and told to come back first thing Monday morning. Of course I freaked out, I called a friend who's husband was with Mike in Iraq and she got in touch with her husband and they took care of the Red Cross Message part. Things started happening very quickly, my mom bought a plane ticket immediately and flew from Houston to Colorado that evening. I went straight to bed, Mike called at some point during the weekend, he was already in Germany, he left Iraq within a couple of hours of receiving the red cross message (stars and flights had aligned) and he arrived in Colorado on Sunday evening on July 2nd.
We all went to the obgyn together on Monday, July 3. They did another ultrasound (this was the first ultrasound that Mike was able to attend) and declared that everything was perfectly normal. I had just been working a little too hard the week before and needed to take things a little slower. Mike was already home though and if at all possible we wanted him to be there for Olivia's birth. The doctor suggested that we induce labor that week and we chose Thursday, giving us 3 days to spend together before Olivia was born.
On Thursday, July 6th we headed to the hospital bright and early. I was started on medications to induce labor and we waited. Initially things seemed to be happening quickly. Prior to being admitted to the hospital I was already 90% effaced and dilated 1 so I was hoping things would move right along.. We relaxed and watched TV and waited. I was disappointed that I couldn't walk around much because of the medications so we just waited. Some time in the afternoon my obgyn came over and broke my water, again hoping that would continue to move things along. A little while later I remember finally caving in and asking for the epidural. I have no idea what I'd been waiting for. I think I was about 6mm dilated by the time I got the epidural. Unfortunately as soon as I got the epidural things seemed to slow down. I stopped dilating and my contractions were not as strong. Around 9pm the doctor came in to discuss delivery by Cesarean section. I'd been in labor since 5am, 16 hours, but my body had stopped laboring. The doctor recommended a Cesarean, I cried, I was terrified. Mike and I prayed, we discussed it and we decided that we preferred a "planned" Cesarean rather than and emergency one several hours later. It only took a few minutes for them to prep me and off we headed to the surgery.
While Mike was getting changed the anesthesiologist asked me what type of music I preferred. I turned down all classical music, I was worried that it with the combination of medication would put me to sleep and I didn't want to miss anything. I chose the "Rolling Stones" and the nurses and doctors in the room all complimented my choice. Mike walked into the room and commented on the music, I remember being so excited to tell him that I chose it. Olivia was born at 9:32 pm on Thursday, July 6, 2006 weighing in at 7 lbs, 11 ounces.
Happy Birthday Olivia! I can't believe that you're 4 years old!
1 comment:
Happy Birthday Olivia. Hearing about the rolling stones made me smile. I had never heard that part of the story before. I feel very blessed that we were pregnant at the same time. I believe thats what brought us together. I still think about all the shopping we did. Putting together Olivia's crib. Visiting you in the hospital after you had delivered. I just remember how small she looked, even tho I had my own new born. I am very thankful we became and still are friends. I hope it was a good day.
Post a Comment