
This past weekend Mike and I celebrated one of our anniversaries. We get two. We hadn't ever expected to celebrate the first--Mike was getting ready to deploy to Iraq, I was in grad school and was without health insurance, we went to the courthouse in Colorado Springs. I don't remember what I wore, I think we went out for lunch to celebrate but I couldn't tell you where we went. We think of that as our "pretend" anniversary. Mike went off to Iraq and I continued grad school in South Carolina. We were so good at "pretending" that I filled my tax return as a single person and Mike filled jointly so we ended up being audited and had to refile. Our pretend anniversary was almost 8 years ago.
We celebrate our real anniversary on the anniversary of our wedding. The day we said our vows and promised to be true to eachother in good times and bad, in sickness and in health. We've had some good years and some bad. Despite this being our 6th official anniversary it is only the 2nd that we've ever actually spent together. We never anticipated that sickness would be of our child and I think that seeing our baby girl sick has been 1000 times harder than if it were one of the two of us that was sick.
I remember we were excited to plan the ceremony itself. We laughed at how appropriate the first reading was from the Book of Ruth---"For whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge; they people shall be my people, and thy God my God" (Ruth 1: 16). So far that's included Oklahoma, Georgia, South Carolina, Colorado, Washington, and North Carolina. It's been sketchy apartments and beautiful resort communities.
We celebrated our anniversary by taking a weekend trip to attend the wedding of the best man from our wedding. My mom flew from Texas to North Carolina to spend the weekend with the kids while we flew to Texas to attend the weekend. It was a quick trip but we had an awesome time. It was so much fun to just hang out with the guy I fell in love with. I love you Babe!
No comments:
Post a Comment