This week has been emotionally and physically draining. When I look back on this week it's hard to believe that this "short week" seemed so long. I read something somewhere recently about how as a young mom you pray for physical strength and endurance to parent your young children but as they get older it becomes less physical and more mental and emotional and you pray for the emotional strength to get through the day. As a mom of a child with special needs I wonder if I'll ever get to that place when parenting isn't physically draining. At the same time I think that parenting a child with special needs is also a constant emotional roller coaster ride. I am exhausted by the time the kids go to bed. Mike has had a lot of late nights this week and that always seems to make the day drag on. I feel guilty for even being the slightest bit bitter about him working late--he's here, he isn't in Afghanistan or Haiti. I don't have any right to be upset about him still being at work at 10 pm on a Friday night but I am. I know it's not logical or rational but my logical, rational side is drained.
We learned this week that some dear friends lost a pregnancy to misscarriage. We share their pain and sorrow. We have also experienced the pain of misscarriage and even though it was several years ago the pain is still fresh. We still mourn for the baby that we lost, we still wonder if it would have been a girl or boy, we wonder how our lives would be different. You still begin creating hopes and expectations from the moment you know that you're pregnant and then they're ripped away in an instant. The timing is also very similar. We celebrated a Christmas knowing that we were expecting a baby and then began a new year with the knowledge that there wouldn't be a baby after all. I feel so deeply for them during this sad time.
This week another precious, brave boy lost his battle with Sanfilippo syndrome. This week I hate that I have to know what Sanfilippo syndrome even is! I hate that I know what it does to innocent children. I know that it's a long, hard road and that now this brave boy is at peace but it still hurts to know his life was cut so short.
I'm just drained this week. I am ready for it to be over.
Building of Medieval Cathedrals Built
6 years ago
2 comments:
Laurie,
I will pray that next week is a easier week for you.
I don't know if i helps to know, but I often pray for you to have the strength that you need. You have handled your situation so gracefully. I don't know if I would have your same strength if I were in the same situation.
Know if you need aything, even if its just to vent, you can aways call. I'm here for you.
Oh Laurie, I have such admiration for you. I think of you often and when times get hard I think of how strong you are and what an inspiration you are to so many including this mommy. We are blessed in so many ways and our love, faith and strength get us through all depths of sorrow. Thank you!
Post a Comment