Thursday, February 18, 2010

Big Day in Clinic

We had a big day in clinic on Wednesday with some very exciting news. I'm trying not to get too excited about it in case things don't work out but it's just so exciting that I can't help it. Alright already here it is......Olivia doesn't have to go back to clinic until MARCH 3!!!! I am getting so tired of driving back and forth to Duke. It's an hour and a half to an hour and forty five minutes each way. I have found a few shortcuts that help but it's a long drive.

After our clinc experience today I'm especially glad that we don't have to go next week. I got everyone up and out of the house extra early so we'd get there before 10 am because I knew we'd have an especially long day in clniic because Olivia was due for her monthly IVIG infussion and anti-pneumonia treatment. We arrived at Duke around 10 am but there was an emergency going on in the day hospital and they were trying to make arrangements to have one of the patients moved to the Emergency Room. Of course we were willing to wait while things got figured out. I'm know that others have waited while Olivia received care so it's only fair. We got into a room in the day hospital but had to wait until 11 for someone to come in and get Olivia's port accessed and her IVIG going. Peter and Olivia played well together. We sang songs, we had snacks. I knew Olivia would have to get her monthly anti-pneumonia breathing med so I was trying to delay Peter's nap as long as possible. When Olivia gets the breathing med she and I sit under this big clear plastic tent that has a huge filter blowing inside of the tent. Olivia wears her nebulizer mask with the medicing and I have to wear a big thick green mask so I don't inhale the medicine. Peter cannot be in the room during the breathing treatment so I needed him to fall asleep in the stroller so he could be wheeled right outside the room on the other side of the sliding glass door during the treatment. Fortunately things worked out. Peter fell asleep, the nurse wheeled him outside our room, Olivia and I cuddled under the tent for 20 minutes. As soon as Olivia's med finished up and Olivia got into the stroller next to Peter he woke up again. I know that God is with me during these long days at clinic. There's no way I'd be able to manage both kids without divine help!

We had to wait a bit for Dr. Paul today and our nurse practiconer is completing his 2 week rotation on 5200 so today's visit just wasn't the same. Dr. Paul was very impressed by Peter's growing skills. Peter demonstraited how to climb up and down from the toddler chair, then the regular sized chair, then Olivia's bed. It was quite amusing as he would stop and clap for himself after he completed each task. Peter then demonstrated how he can take off his own shoes and socks as well as Olivia's shoes and socks. It was too funny! Dr. Paul was impressed with Olivia's weight gain, her weight is up to 16 KG and her appetite is good. She also started drinking a little bit of regular whole milk this week and seems to be tolerating it well. Olivia's lungs sound clear and her sinuses have cleared up. We also discussed more of the 6 month study results but we're still waiting on one more test result. I'll post about all the 6 month studies at once a little later on. Around 2:00 we finally finished up and headed out of clinic.

On our way home to Durham I made a quick trip by Costco then we swung by Burger King for apple fries and chicken tenders. I resisted the burger temptation on Ash Wednesday and then we headed home arriving just before 5pm. Long day and I'm really looking forward to not making the trip next Wednesday!



"Why won't you let me sleep lady! I'm tired of your songs!"


Even Olivia was on Peter's side and wanted him to let him sleep.


Such a big boy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very cute. Josh has the same shirt that Peter has on in those pics.