Friday, February 12, 2010

Olivia Update

Thanks for all the thoughst and well wishes today. Olivia is feeling much better. Olivia slept with Mike and I last night and I'm very glad that she didn't have any more dihereah or vomiting. Olivia and I headed into Duke first thing this morning and Mike and Peter had some guy bonding time thanks to the President's Day 4-day weekend. I called ahead on our way into clinic and they had a room in the day hospital waiting for us. At first Olivia was so happy and talkative I started to wonder if I'd done the right thing by bringing her in. Her weight was down but only by a tenth of a kilo, I thought it would be much worse. The cultures from Wednesday were all negative but they did repeat all of them. Olivia's breathing was much better and her oxygen saturation was great. Her labs looked good she wasn't showing any signs of dehydration and her white count wasn't elevated. The team decided that it was a reaction to the new antibiotic that they started on Wednesday. Olivia threw up almost immediately after they started administering the IV antibiotic on Wednesday and then on Thursday the vomiting started a few hours after she received her oral morning dose. Olivia had had she same antibiotic previously but she was still inpatient and still on regular doses of anti-nausea medication so we couldn't have known that it would make her nauseous. Olivia did get 3 hours of IV fluids while we were waiting in clinic today and she was kind enough to provide a stool sample that will be sent for further testing. Olivia ate and drank plenty while we were waiting in the day hospital today and then she ate almost an entire happy meal on the way home.

I'm really relieved that she seems to be feeling better and I hope that this was just a small hiccup. I am really excited that we don't have to go anywhere tomorrow! I'm getting a little tired of the Durham commute.

No comments: