Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Visiting Daddy at Work

Last week we got to stop by Mike's office and have lunch with him. The kids loved seeing his office. Both Olivia and Peter were excited to see so many people in uniform. When we got out of the car Olivia ran straight toward the legs of a complete stranger for a hug. I guess she saw the uniform and was sure it was Daddy before she saw the face. Fortunately I got there just in time. Once we got into Mike's office I was not quick enough to stop Peter from walking right over to another soldier in uniform and trying to climb into his lap. Fortunately he had kids of his own and he was completely happy to let Peter sit on his lap for a bit. I think that is one of the bittersweet aspects of military life. When Mike is deployed I hate seeing all the other guys around in uniform, it is a constant visual reminder that my husband was gone. Now that my kids are old enough to recognize that familiar uniform I have a different perspective. That uniform symbolizes Daddy and it brings them comfort even if it's worn by someone else's Daddy.


1 comment:

Brandy said...

So true. Every time Jonas see's a man in ACU's he yells Daddy!!! Every Army Vehicle is daddy's and every time we hear shooting he say's "Daddy is shooting." It does warm the heart.