Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Army Life for the Wife

I've been an Army Wife for almost 8 years. So when my husband casually mentions over dinner Monday evening that he is going to the field soon I'm not surprised. I'm thankful that here in North Carolina going to the field doesn't mean an 8 hour drive to the middle of no where (good bye Ft. Lewis/Yakima). I ask the now standard questions about how I can reach him in case there's some type of family emergency for any of his soldiers.

I vaguely remember a kiss goodbye this morning and while I have no idea what time it was I sensed that it was earlier than the normal 4:30-5:00 am time range. I am blind as a bat without my glasses or contacts and the alarm is on his side of the bed so I never know what time it is.

I found a note in the kitchen this morning saying he got a call last night--in the field for the rest of the week. I am happy that I have 8 years of Army wife training to fall back on. I'm looking forward to the tons of little projects that I have to accomplish while he's gone. Mike was gone often in the beginning of our marriage. So much so that I have major issues accomplishing anything when he is home. I don't want to waste that time with him working on silly little things that can wait until another time. So I'm looking forward to the little things that I'm able to be in control of while he's gone. I'm absolutely turning the sprinkler system back on (Mike insisted that we turn it off because it was wasteful and unfortunately I haven't been able to prove him wrong because strangely enough the grass hasn't died but it is a little dry), I'm turning the AC down to 75 instead of the husband mandated 77. I'm going to plan and replan Olivia's 4th birthday celebration because there's no one around to get irritated when I change my mind again and again.

4 comments:

Elena said...

I know the feeling. Enjoy having the bed to yourself.

Ashley said...

loved this post!

Taryn said...

This is hilarious! Enjoy your me time and let it remind you first and foremost of the independent woman you are and always have been, while allowing in those little feelings of 'I'm just not me without him' just enough for you to not be able to wait for him to walk in the door! :-)

Taryn said...

This is hilarious! Enjoy your me time and let it remind you first and foremost of the independent woman you are and always have been, while allowing in those little feelings of 'I'm just not me without him' just enough for you to not be able to wait for him to walk in the door! :-)