Friday, June 11, 2010

Respite, the Reality

Today (actually right now as I'm typing this) is our first experience with Respite care. This time last week I had big ideas of grandiose things that I would do with Peter while Olivia was playing with Ms. J (the respite care provider). The reality is something much different. I didn't plan anything for Peter and I to do so I was scrambling to get out of the house as Ms. J arrived. Ms. J wanted to take Olivia into the back yard so that Olivia could play before it got to hot. Peter already had his shoes on so that he and I could go but when he saw that he wasn't getting to go outside with Olivia he had a complete melt down. He did perk up when he got in the car with me, just the two of us.

We drove to the library with the windows down, a rare treat since we can't have the windows down with Olivia in the car. Peter loved the wind blowing in his face and I loved seeing the wind blowing his sweet curls. I worried that I'd left Olivia in the hands of a virtual stranger. We had fun at the library, Peter loved the toddler size furniture in the children's section. He had fun picking out books, but if there's not a dog on the cover then he's not interested. We came home with 3 books about Spot the dog. I wondered what Olivia was doing. We left the library. Peter said bye bye to every single person we saw as we were walking out the door, from the librarian to the bum outside the library. I love that Peter is the complete opposite of Olivia at this age. Olivia was always very shy and has just recently started to open up. Peter is as outgoing as can be! We headed home so that I could make lunch and get Peter down for his nap. And of course I had to know that Olivia was really ok. Now I'm sitting upstairs blogging while Olivia is wandering around with Ms. J downstairs.

I know I'll really appreciate and enjoy the break that respite care provides but it'll take me some time to get there.

No comments: