Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Momma Needs a Vacation/NOLA Escape/Jazzfest/Reunion

Last week I was in the grocery store. I looked down at my list and noticed this...............



Obviously I was interrupted while writing the word 'crackers'. But while I was in the grocery store all I could think was hmmmm, I don't think they sell that at this grocery store.

Fortunately respite was in sight. I left Mike and the kids and flew to New Orleans for a long weekend. The trip took quite a bit of coordination--but with the help of one of our regular respite care providers Mike and the kids managed to do just fine. I had typed up pages and pages of instructions, I took pictures of Olivia's school and the carpool lane to give to the sitter who would be picking her up. I prepped activities for the kids and meals for Mike to cook. I went a little overboard on the prep.

I was very stressed about leaving the kids but then I discovered an express spa during my layover. I thoroughly enjoyed an overpriced pedicure while waiting for my flight and started to relax.



I arrived in New Orleans in time to meet my brand new niece and Goddaughter, Miss Sophie Jaye Leiva. She's precious!





It was the perfect way to start the weekend!

I haven't seen most of my sorority sisters in years. Some of us talk fairly often via facebook but for the most part we're all busy with our own lives. One of the negative aspects about moving often and living in so many places is that I don't get a chance to develop close friendships with people. I didn't realize how much I missed that! This weekend I remembered that these girls know me, they know the intricacies of my character, they were there as I was growing up. I remember graduating from college and feeling so completely alone. I had roommates for 4 years, I loved living with a group of girls! This past weekend we slipped right into old routines and I loved it!

One of our very regular routines was stopping by the Daiquiri shop.



The daiquiri's were purely medicinal, I had to nurse my injured hand. I burnt my hand badly on the lawnmower before I left to go out of town.



We experienced fantastic food--Crawfish Monica, Stuffed Mushrooms, Trout, Shrimp Flautas, Crawfish Bread, Empanadas and equally fantastic music--Bonerama, Better than Ezra, Kermit Ruffins, Willie Nelson, Arcade Fire, Marcia Ball, Allen Toussaint, The Strokes, Ms. Lauryn Hill, Jimmy Buffett and The Coral Reefer Band.

The weather was gorgeous but it was hot. For some reason I decided that I had to have a fedora and I sported it all weekend!









We headed out to some of our favorite old college bars and we found a few new places.



I did miss Mike and the kids very much but the sitter and Mike were great about sending me text message and photo updates. How could I worry when I know these sweet sleeping faces are so content!



On Mother's Day we headed to brunch at Court of Two Sisters.



We took our time shopping and walking our way through the French Quarter. It was such a treat to be able to take our time and really enjoy each others company.

We ate lunch at Commander's Palace, a New Orleans institution with fantastic food and even better service.



It was a wonderful weekend, one of the best weekends I've had in years!

3 comments:

Anna M said...

This sounds FANTASTIC! I can tell you really needed and enjoyed this mini vacation. So glad you have friends who can provide that love for you. It is important to keep those old friendships because you're right--they do know us best and know the essence of our soul. As much as I love my friends now, I still feel like my high school best friend understands me better because we've known each other through so much!

African American History said...

I had such q great weekend, and I miss you already! Can't go so long without seeing each other!

Kristin said...

You look so happy, Laurie! I know you missed the kids, but it seems this is just what you needed to refresh those batteries! What a blast!!