Sunday, August 30, 2009

Just time for a quick update...day +38

It really will be just a quick update tonight, I'm exhausted. Olivia is doing really well. We received the results of her chimerism test (I find this part of the transplant process fascinating and have tons of information on it but I think that it's explained pretty easily here ), Olivia is almost 99% donor cells! Olivia's blood type has officially changed from AB+ (the blood type she was born with) to O+ (the donor's blood type). Around day +100 they will also do another blood test to determine if Olivia is producing the enzyme that she has not been able to produce. This won't mean that she's "cured" but we're hoping that it prevents further damage. Right now we're moving forward and we are hoping to be discharged early this week! Olivia is doing a great job at taking the majority of her medications by mouth and she's eating very well so things seem to be falling into place.

I have absolutely love having Peter around. I cannot believe how much he has changed in just 2 short months. We got to spend a few precious minutes together as a family of four over the weekend and it was wonderful. Mike and I got to spend some time together over the weekend thanks to Aunt Amy hanging out with Olivia. Olivia is really enjoying her passes away from the hospital. She gets so excited when we leave the hospital! It's heart breaking to hear her get upset and cry as she realizes that we have to head back to the hospital but it's getting a little easier.

We've taken tons of pictures and I'll post some of those soon when I have some time, maybe another smilebox greeting since those seem to be so appreciated.

The best part of the weekend was that I got to spend 2 whole nights with Peter all to myself. It was wonderful, I miss him again so much already. I know that Amy and my mom missed him but I loved cuddling with him!

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

CONGRATS on the donor cells! Such awesome news! GROW DONOR CELLS GROW!!! Great job Olivia!

Unknown said...

Wow I find it so interesting that he blood type has changed. Does this mean her DNA make up has changed too?

I am glad you get to spend some time with Peter. Were you able to find an apartment since you are getting discharged soon?

Love the updates.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, how weird that you can change blood types! Will her type be changed forever if all goes as planned? I'll be in touch as my time to be in Raleigh gets closer, and we will see what we will see! Love ya'll!

Rebekah said...

Hey, just sent a comment, hope you got it!