Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Academic Expectations

On Monday I went to an IEP meeting in our new school district. We finished all the paperwork to get Olivia officially transfered to our new school district. They have reviewed the copies of all the evaluations that Olivia has had over the last 6 months--the stuff from our school district in Washington, the stuff from her speech therapist in Washington, the stuff from her Birth-to-Three teacher in Washington, the Occupational therapist reports from the hospital, from the Durham apartment, from Fayetteville, the Physical therapist reports from the hosptial, Durham apartment, and from Fayetteville. I'm really happy with the teachers I've met with here in our new school district. They seem experienced and ready and willing to teach. We're changing Olivia's overall IEP from "Developmentaly Delayed" to "Other Health Impaired". Olivia's IEP from Washington state is still "good" because it was written less than a year ago but so much has changed it was necessary to rework the old one. This IEP will be valid from now until the beginning of June. Hopefully at that point Olivia will be healthy enough to transition back into a school environment so a new IEP will be necessary. The IEP goals are measurable and while some of them are challenging I think they are all appropriate and reasonable. Olivia's teacher will come to the house once a week for 60 minutes.

Thankfully when they asked me about my vision for Olivia's education I didn't break down into tears. It's getting easier to go to these meetings. I'm miles ahead of where I was during her first IEP meeting when we had just found out about her diagnosis, and her 2nd IEP meeting when she had just been released from the hospital.

After the meeting I was able to escape for a few more hours and go to my special place....Target. I love Target! I did return home with the most random assortment of items though, you could tell that I was "comfort shopping". I came home with 2 really cute pairs of PJ's for Olivia (Peter is actually the one who needs PJ's as he's a growing boy and Olivia has more than enough pj's but they were just so cute), a value pack of kids toothbrushes, a hoodie I found for Olivia for $1.50 (she needs another hoodie like she needs a hole in the head but it was $1.50!), a small pack of pull ups because I thought we were running low but couldn't seem to remember, a 3 pack of fruit of the loom panties (sexy, huh), a sports watch, 2 short sleved t-shirts, and a hot pink and blue stretchy frog for Olivia, and a box of cereal. RANDOM! This shopping experience took over an hour because I blissfully wondered through the isles completely kid free.

2 comments:

Brandy said...

What size is Peter? I have PJ's out the ying yang that I can send you unless he is wearing 18 months or 4T. LOL They are mostly all hand me downs from Wesley, but those are the best. Let me know. email me.

Unknown said...

I love Target!!!1 One of my fav. places. I think it helps me de stress when I am wandering the asiles. ;)