Monday, May 17, 2010

MPS Awareness Day


May 15 was MPS Awareness Day. We didn't do a thing to raise awareness, we didn't recognize or celebrate the day around here. I didn't tell anyone. We didn't even wear purple. I just didn't have the energy to do it this year. It's not just the energy and motivation to get some purple ribbons together, I didn't want to deal with all the emotional stuff. This last year has been such a fight, such a struggle.

The mother of a friend of mine had breast cancer, I remember my friend talking about how much she hated breast cancer awareness month after her mother passed away. She talked about how she was still angry at breast cancer, angry at the loss of her mother and that prevented her from raising awareness. I feel the same way, I'm all too aware of the effects of MPS and this year I just couldn't do it. I have big plans for next year but for now I'm happy to hear how our MPS friends raised awareness. I hope people understand why I just couldn't bring my self to raise the purple flag this year, but then again I don't really care if people disagree with how I'm feeling. I'm being honest and truthful. I'm glad that we didn't recognize MPS awareness day this year we did what was right for our family. I am looking forward to next year and hoping that we're in a better place to raise awarness and participate 12 months from now.

No comments: