Monday, May 10, 2010

Thriftiness Check-In

One of my resolutions for 2010 is to be more thrifty. I went gangbusters clipping coupons for a while but now I think I may have come full circle. We have been able to significantly trim our weekly grocery budget. The coupons do work but it does take some time and effort. I do think it's totally worth it though to see the total drop by $25 or $30 as the cashier starts scanning those coupons. I'm also shopping at Aldi every other week. I've noticed that staple items (for us that includes things like milk, eggs, cheese, bread, bananas, and chips) are much cheaper at Aldi. I think that the real "money making" coupon stuff happens at places like CVS, Walgreens and Rite-Aid. Maybe I'll try that next month.

In general the cash envelope system is working wonders for us! I've also taken to opening up several savings accounts (it's super easy since you can do it all online with our bank, USAA). We have savings accounts for the items that we want to save for (patio furniture, vacation, etc.). I've also opened a savings account for Gas and now I can use the ATM card for that savings account to pay for gas at the pump instead of having to go into the store.

In the mean time I am loving all the free samples that we got in the mail this past week as well as the $3.00 checks that I'm getting from PineCone Research for taking surveys (I made $9.00 last month). I would share more about where I'm getting these free samples but to be honest I'm not really so sure where they are coming from (I think it's vocalpoint, and P&G)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

watch those pampers cruisers if they are the new ones with dry max. There is a lot of stuff going around about those diapers giving babies chemical burns. There's even a facebook group dedicated to boycotting pampers!