Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost
For a couple of months now been at a crossroads. The uncertainty of the future has been weighing heavily on both of us and I have felt like I couldn't share much of what was going on for fear of jinxing us in some way. Mike's time in command is coming to an end and he has been busy researching different career opportunities for his next assignment. He is going to stay in the Army, that's is the one thing that we're sure of at this point. Mike interviewed for an ROTC instructor position at Tulane University in New Orleans. It's a bit of a dream job, it all seems too good to be true. We'd be in the same city as friends and family. When I was in New Orleans last month I toured a very special school in New Orleans for children with special needs. I believe that it would be an amazing opportunity for Olivia, it's a remarkable school and I know she'd fit in well there! I even started looking at job openings at local colleges and universities for myself. Mike was researching graduate programs and hoped to begin work on his Masters while we were there. Mike would not deploy for a couple of years. New Orleans has all the medical specialists that Olivia would need. The list of pros is long. Mike's current boss and his potential new boss both agreed that he would be a great fit for the position. But we're still waiting on approval from Army Human Resources. This approval is taking a very long time. With each day that passes it seems less and less likely that this will work out. It really does seem to good to be true.
Option two would be for us to stay here, for Mike to get a job within the special forces community as a Fire Support Officer. This is also a job that Mike would enjoy. He would most likely deploy in the near future but we could stay in our house, in our neighborhood. I've made friends here, I've learned my way around Eastern North Carolina. Olivia is all ready for school in the fall, I've even registered Peter for school in the fall. We have good relationships with therapists and doctors here in our area. North Carolina is growing on us, I don't love Ft. Bragg but I am growing to love North Carolina.
Mentally I've already begun preparing for option two but at the same time I just can't seem to let go of the dream of New Orleans. The uncertainty is starting to become stressful. I just want to know, one way or the other! It feels better to share about it finally. Please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers. What's meant to be will happen, I know we'll be okay with either option, I just want to know!
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be
--Ray Evans
Building of Medieval Cathedrals Built
6 years ago
2 comments:
You have a great attitude about it, but you know I am pulling for NOLA!!! I would love Sophie to grw up knowing her Godparents and her cousins.
We have a friend that just got done teaching ROTC at Tulane and he loved it. I hope you get which ever you decide.
Post a Comment