Friday, May 29, 2009

Men vs. Women, Boys vs. Girls

Today was a busy day, we were going from appointment to appointment, meeting to meeting with tons of errands to run in between. Thankfully Mike was able to stay home and spend some quality time with Peter so it was just me and Olivia. At one point I realized that I had forgotten something at home so I stopped by the house to pick it up. I'm running up the stairs to the front door and I see a snake. It was probably a harmless little garden snake, it wasn't very big but I completely freaked out. I screamed, I jumped, I'm sure I looked like a crazy person. The snake slithered off into the garden and I continued on my way into the house. Of course Mike hears my shrieking and comes to investigate. When I tell him about the snake he gets all excited. He goes running out into the yard on search for the snake.

I was struck by the difference between us. I'm still a little emotionally scared from my brief encounter with the snake and I won't go up the stairs again without thinking twice about our little visitor. I hate snakes and they always give me the shivers! My husband on the other hand was thrilled to hunt down the little visitor with the closest "weapon" at hand. In this case it was a rock, from the garden. Who knows how long he spent trying to rid us of this unpleasant visitor but I'm sure he enjoyed every minute of it.



When I got back in the car Olivia asked what happened and when I told her about the snake her immediate response was and alarmed "oh oh"! Apparently she is not a fan of snakes either. This got me thinking about Peter. I am not prepared for snakes, frogs, snails, bugs, etc. I pray that he is not the type to bring these little creatures home for me to see!

Here's a picture of Mike, hunting down the poor snake.

No comments: