Sunday, May 3, 2009

What took so long?

While we were at Mass today Olivia went to the nursery. She had a great time playing with the other kids and Mike and I were able to really enjoy Mass together with Peter. I've been thinking about this for a while. Why did I wait so long? This same thing happened when I went into labor with Olivia. I didn't think I needed any painkillers, I thought that I could have a natural childbirth. I had prepared for a natural childbirth. Even though I had to be induced and was getting the maximum amount of labor inducing drugs I still thought that I didn't need any pain medication. Even though the doctor had to manually break my water I thought that I didn't need pain medication. I waited until I had been in labor for 9 hours before I finally decided that I was ready for pain medication. Immediately after I got the epidural my first thought was, why did I wait so long for this! I realize that I'm a stubborn person but I also think it makes me appreciate the outcome even more. That epidural was fantastic and Mass today was peaceful and fulfilling.

1 comment:

Anna M said...

I am completely with you on the epidural! I waited a while too...wanting to go naturally...but goodness, glad those things were invented!