Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Living in the moment

We still don't know what is going on with Olivia's stomach issues. Since Olivia has been on her anti-nausea medicine she hasn't thrown-up. She is still having some stomach craps and diarrhea, she really hasn't eaten much at all today. I called the clinic to see if they had the results of the stool sample tests from yesterday. Olivia does not have C. diff and she doesn't have salmonella. It will take a full 21 days to get final results but so far the cultures have all been negative. That leads me to belive that at this point it's either Graft vs. Host or she's just having stomach issues caused by her other medications. I know that these meds have been rough on Olivia's system, they are rough on all of us. I dread giving them to her, she hates the way they taste. We've tried switching some of the really bad tasting meds to tablet form, that worked for a while but the novelty of that has worn off and she just hates them. Tomorrow is her last dose of one of the really nasty ones (Avelox/moxifloxacin hydrochloride ) and she's scheduled to finish another gross one (Linezolid) this Friday. I hope that they don't end up changing this tomorrow and she really is able to stop these two meds soon. I'm anxious about tomorrow's visit. I'd really like to have answers and I'm nervous that they won't be able to give us answers. We're learning that medicine can't always provide a simple answer, it's almost always more complicated than that. All we can hope for is knowledge so that we can make well informed decisions.

In the mean time I'm really trying to live in the moment so enjoy these pictures of us "living it up".


No comments: