Peter's pediatrician had some minor experience with MPS so he's somewhat familiar with Sanfilippo Syndrome and he completed a rotation on the bone marrow transplant unit at the UNC hospital so he knows some about what we're going through with Olivia. Given some of Olivia's developmental issues I think that I'm a little more concerned with developmental milestones than your average parent and our pediatrician is happy to answer all of my questions! Peter is doing really well! He weighs 22lbs and is 17 cm long so he's right at the 50th percentile for both. The doctor isn't surprised because that Peter isn't walking independently yet since he still has quite a bit of his Babinski Reflex and he won't really be ready to walk independently until he grows out of that reflex. Peter is cruising and will walk when you hold onto his hands or when he's pushing something just not independently. Peter is also making a lot of verbal sounds but he's not talking yet. He's making consonant-vowel and consonant-vowel-consonant combinations but he isn't using any particular words to any particular objects. We'll wait 3 more months and then see if there's been any improvement before jumping into speech therapy. Peter's fine motor skills are a little ahead of schedule and he loves to play little games like peek-a-boo. He's also really funny when he wants to show you something. He just started this new thing where he'll grab your hand and then put the object into your hand. He's also started giving hugs and kisses which is the absolute sweetest thing ever!
Here's Peter working out over the weekend!
1 comment:
Laurie are you sure about his length? 17 cm is approx 7 inches long. I am pretty sure he is taller than that. I am assuming its a typo, but he would be pretty chunky at 22 pounds and 7 inches long.
I hope things are getting better with you and Olivia.
Post a Comment