Seriously if this is some kind of cosmic test to determine if I really can handle both Olivia and Peter here by myself I would rather opt out.
Wednesday was our long day in clinic. Typically our long day has been lasting around 2 to 2 and a half hours. Today was my first time with both Olivia and Peter in clinic. I was prepared, I had toys, snacks for Olivia, snacks for Peter, plenty of diapers, spare clothes, books, bottles, and formula. When Mike and I met for lunch earlier in the week he gave me the double stroller. We got to our appointment right on time, I loaded everyone up and we headed up to the clinic. As we were checking in the nurse noticed that Olivia seemed short of breath. I agreed and said we'd mentioned it to the doctors last week. She tends to get a little out of breath when wearing her big thick green mask (even I have trouble breathing when I wear one). I thought things would get better once we got into a room and she could take the mask off. Things didn't get better. Things got worse. There was discussion about admitting Olivia again to 5200 if we couldn't get things figured out. They drew blood for Olivia's labs. Her results came back and her white blood count was pretty high. A few months ago we were praying for her white blood count to grow but now when it's high it means that her body is fighting some kind of infection. Then the tests began....they did a "snot test" to see if any common viruses grow, they did another "snot test" to see if she has the flu, they did a chest xray, they drew about 6 vials of blood to run tests on. They did a breathing treatment, Olivia had to wear a mask for about 10 minutes and breathe in a steroid vapor to help open up her lungs. It worked miracles! It made a huge difference. It looks like Olivia has asthma or she has a virus that was causing her to have asthma-like symptoms. Her chest x-ray looked good. Her blood gas level (they did a test to determine how much oxygen and carbon dioxide was in her blood) was perfect. They gave Olivia 2 new antibiotics via IV and then sent us home with oral versions. Olivia is now on tamiflu in case she does have the flu (we should get that test back tomorrow). They did 2 more breathing treatments while we were at the clinic today. We now have a nebulizer at home so that I can administer the breathing treatments here (she's scheduled to get 5-6 a day). We left around 4pm, we were there for over 7 hours! My "perfectly packed" bag was completely inadequate, we ran out of snacks for everyone, we ran out of formula, I hadn't packed anything for myself. What a day. Obviously we will not be able to remain on the "once a week" clinic schedule, we're back to Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I'm hoping that something grows from the "snot test", if we know what we're dealing with then we can figure out how to resolve the issue.
To end on a positive note....
-Peter was so well behaved. He's such a happy, easy-going baby! He made us all smile a lot today!
-Olivia's attitude is great! She started singing songs again for the first time in months. I've really missed her singing and she's added a new song to her list. Whenever she hears Peter say "Baa Baa" which he does often (it's just baby babble) she proceeds to launch into her rendition of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" much to Peter's delight and the amusement of all the nurses.
-We are home! We have a few more meds and the nebulizer issue but at least we're all here together back at the apartment.
Building of Medieval Cathedrals Built
6 years ago
1 comment:
You're doing great! Our families have never met, but we are praying for you. Remember, if you're going through hell... keep going.
Post a Comment