This is a really sensitive issue for me given Olivia's extremely suppressed immune system. I've had numerous conversations with doctors about this issue. H1N1 would be fatal to someone like Olivia with a suppressed immune system. We are doing absolutely everything we can to keep from contacting H1N1. Except for doctors appointments and the occasional walk we do not leave the apartment. Olivia will not be allowed to go to any public places until after flu season is over (no grocery store, no restaurants, no playgrounds, etc.) We are being as careful as possible but we can only control our environment so much. H1N1 is still very contagious and it's even more terrifying that you can have H1N1 and not even know for 24 hours so you can continue to unknowingly spread it to others. Since Olivia is immune suppressed she's not able to get the H1N1 vaccine. Since the nasal version of the H1N1 contains a live virus we are not allowed to get it, we have to get the regular shot version and it isn't available here yet. Every day I hear about another friend or family member getting H1N1. I am terrified. If you are considering whether or not to vaccinate please read the info below.
1. Healthy young people and pregnant women are MORE likely to get h1n1 than other population groups
2. The majority of people who do get h1n1 will not become seriously ill, however for those who do become seriously ill the prognosis is not good
3. the vaccine is as "safe" as the regular flu shot but it is more effective, it is created using the same technology as the regular flu shot but it is more effective than the regular flu shot because it is a more specific vaccine. the seasonal flu shot can be more or less effective based on which flu strand is chosen, there is only one h1n1 strand
4. You or your child won't get seriously ill from getting the flu shot but it could prevent you from getting seriously ill and if your child doesn't have strong reactions to other vaccines then they are not expected to have a reaction to the seasonal or h1n1 flu
5. While I absolutely appreciate the dedication to do what's best for you and your family I think that in this situation you also have to think about the implications to people beyond your family. You can have h1n1 for 24 hours before symptoms begin to appear. You could pass the virus on to someone without even being aware that you have it. While you and yours might be able to get through without much damage who knows what might happen to others that you may have been in contact with, talk about guilt....
Building of Medieval Cathedrals Built
6 years ago
4 comments:
I never thought about it from your perspective, Laurie. But the H1N1 vaccine is not available here yet. My girls have now both had it (the virus) so they are not in need of the vaccine if/when it is available here. We did all get the seasonal flu vaccine since the doctors here tell us that they are two separate things. They also put me on Tamiflu tonight on a preventative does since I have been exposed twice now to H1N1 by the girls. I think you are doing the best thing keeping Olivia home as much as possible. It is spreading quickly among kids. Good luck tomorrow. Love, Wendy
Laurie,
since the local hospital doesn't have H1N1 shot yet, get mike to check out the base. They have already started the clinics out here for high risk people.
I think your totally wise not going anywhere. I have even started doing the same. I don't even think I made it to Target last week. ;)
Also, We just found out today that you can get it more than once. Just because your child had it does not mean your not going to get it again. Especially if your case was not as severe. Just FYI. You will have to get 2 shots for all kids under 10, but if your pregnant or planning to be pregnant GO GET IT NOW. My friend is an OBGYN and just lost a patient and it is at 15% death rate in Pregnant women. (sorry to be Deby Downer)
Laurie,
I have never had the flu shot, and niether have Christian (3) or Noah (11months). I have been seriously debating getting the flu/H1N1 shot this year. After reading your blog I have now decided to get them both. I never thought about it from your perspective. Thank you!!! I am praying for your family, God bless!!
Jenny Bertholf
Post a Comment