Thursday, October 22, 2009

Outgrowing my Favorite

I love Grey's Anatomy. I started watching it during one of Mike's deployments and I have loved it ever since (thanks Laurie and Elena for getting me hooked :)). When we moved to Washington I loved seeing familiar landmarks in the show. The "Seattle Grace Hospital" building is actually not a hospital at all, it is a building that houses the ABC affiliate station in Seattle. Tonight I've realized that I've outgrown my favorite show. First of all there's the fact that Izzy's hair grew back like five minutes after chemotherapy. Olivia still has an adorably bald head and it's been MONTHS since she finished chemotherapy. In the first twenty minutes of tonight's episode they administered the drug fentanyl as a pain killer for a burn victim. I know all about fentanyl, Olivia was on a fentanyl pump for weeks. They gradualy increased the dose until Olivia was receiving an "adult" dose of fentanyl at a 50:1 ratio (the pediatric ratio is typically 10:1). At every single shift change the nurses had to record and verbally report the amount of fentanyl that Olivia received over the last 12 hours. Her fentanyl pump provided her constant medication and there was also a button we could push to have an immediate extra amount of fentanyl pushed into her veins. Initially fentanyl seemed to work but eventually it was not very effective. It made Olivia itch compulsively. Eventually they weaned Olivia off of fentanyl by using methadone to help bridge her "pain gap". Incidentally there's evidence that both Anna Nicole Smith and Michael Jackson were on methadone when the died. Olivia came home from the hospital on methadone and I'm really glad that she's been weaned off that drug! Anyways, back to Grey's following the fentanyl issue they then had to deal with a collapsed lung. An unfortunately common issue up on 5200. We're very blessed that Olivia did not have that complication. I'm done, watching my favorite show is not a release for me, it's not enjoyable. I've outgrown it and it's no longer my favorite.

1 comment:

Mama Mouse said...

I don't have nearly your experience, but I'm starting to feel the same way. Plus, it's ALWAYS sad. Do you remember when some of the episodes were funny or uplifting?