Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanks Giving

We have so much to be thankful for, I can't even begin to express....This year Thanks Giving seems so different, definately special in a different way. Each Thanks Giving that Mike and I get to spend together is always special. With his deployments we don't ever take getting to be together for a holiday for granted but this year feels different. I think we always took our health for granted but after living in a hospital for several months that is not something that we'll take for granted anymore.

We did celebrate Thanks Giving here in the apartment in Durham. I made a turkey roast instead of a whole turkey. It was so much easier and just as tasty. We ate early and then all took naps after our big meal. Later in the evening I went to see a movie with a friend and then I returned just in time to watch Mike prepare for his shopping expedition. Mike is normally not a fan of shopping, he hates it! However on the one day of the year when it becomes a competitive sport he decides that he MUST shop. I've never been shopping on Black Friday but Mike seems to be pretty successful at it. I don't think he cares at all about what he's buying, he is just excited to get the best deal. His shopping expedition began earlier in the afternoon when he took Peter out to gather info (i.e. get a newspaper to look at the ads). He didn't have change so he had drive around until he found a store that was open so he could get change. The poor newspaper dispenser apparently ate his quarters so he kicked it until he was able to get a newspaper. I can't believe that he's resorted to vandalism in the name of shopping! He prepared for his expedition by putting on several layers of clothing, none of which match at all! He's wearing some strange combination of army gear and civilian clothes. Think army green standard issue long johns and thermal clothes with tshirts and pajama pants. He left the house with a camp stool and a thermos (no idea what he's got in the thermos but at least I know we don't have any hard liquor in the house so I'm guessing it's the leftover wine from dinner). He was headed to Toys 'r Us and then there was mention of Target and Best Buy and perhaps Sears. I have no idea what he plans on buying as I honestly cannot think of anything that we NEED. I really hope that he doesn't come home with a new TV as we just got one last year and it's in perfect condition. I wish I had thought to get a picture of him before he headed out on his shopping mission! He's clearly all geared up for this so I'm all about supporting him in his quest for black friday bargains. Olivia does have a doctor's appointment on Friday morning at 10 am so I hope he's home in time for that.

2 comments:

Wendy Leiva said...

That cracks me up. I had no idea he would set out for deals on Black Friday. His older brother would NEVER! He is not a shopper at all! He even called me from 8000 miles away today to remind me not to go crazy shopping tomorrow! I hope Michael gets lots of good deals.

katherine_m_gilmore said...

love this....i hope you will post on what he bought! oh and how sweet that he was going to toys r us first! that's one good daddy!!