Thursday, October 29, 2009

PBMT Halloween Party

I know that I said a couple weeks ago that we weren't going to do Halloween costumes this year but I changed my mind. Last week I was playing with Olivia and Peter when I got a great idea for costumes that would be easy to make. Peter already had the red pants and Olivia had a red turtleneck so I just had to get pants for Olivia and a shirt for Peter. I bought some white felt with a sticky back and assembled their costumes. I found the blue striped hat on clearance at walmart for $2. Peter had one as well but he ripped his off and threw it somewhere about 30 seconds after I put it on him. Last night we went to PMBT Outpatient Halloween party and I think Olivia had a great time. The family support staff put together a great event and it was really nice to be able to leave the apartment and socialize with other people! They had fake pumpkins (Olivia can't be around any real produce) for the kids to paint and decorate then they had a trick-or-treat trail set up in the Duke Gardens followed by pizza. The whole evening went by in a blur and it was really nice to be able to see other people.

Here is the official costume debut. In case you're wondering what Peter is eating it is a french fry, I bribed him with a french fry so that he would be still.

Thing One and Thing Two from Dr. Seuss.




When I told Olivia we were going to a party to see her friends she was so excited. I know she misses being able to see other kids. She put her hat on all by herself and then proceeded to shout "mamma ready" all the way there.



Peter cuddled up with Molly, the child life specialist from 5200. Too cute!



The PBMT pumpkin at the start of the trick-or-treat trail.



I went back and forth about taking the stroller on the trail. Olivia said she wanted to walk and I figured the exercise would be good for her so I put Peter in the baby bjorn and off we went. Olivia did a great job holding my hand and walking along The trail was pretty short but after the rain we've had here over the last week it was a little slippery in some areas. Following transplant a lot of kids seem to have some balance and strength issues (Olivia certainly has these issues) so the trick-or-treating was calm, there wasn't any running or pushing, there were a few minor trips and falls but everyone was okay. At the very end Olivia was breathing a little heavy and I could tell she needed to rest. We slowed down and took our time. She made it almost the entire way but I ended up picking her up and carrying her and Peter the last 500 yards or so. Combined with Peter in the baby bjorn I'm sure we were quite a sight and as I huffed up the hill lugging about 70 lbs of child I regretted not bringing the stroller. We did make it up the hill and I appreciated the work out.




It was really great to see so many of the other kids that Olivia was in the hospital with. I know that Olivia enjoyed the excitement and the change of routine. Everyone got to bed a little late last night and I was really hoping that would mean they would sleep in today but Peter was up bright and early at 6:30 this morning. I was hoping that would mean a longer morning nap today but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too cute, Laurie! So happy y'all had a great time!

Laura said...

I LOVE the costumes!!! You are so clever :) Glad to see you guys are doing well!